Midnight Vigil


Waking in the night, 
As I do so often. 
Staring into the inky darkness
And missing the soft blue of your eyes.
I quietly replay our every interaction on a loop in my mind.
Closing my eyes,
I reach out across our tether...
As I have done countless times.
When my eyes open, 
My gaze alights on your sleeping form. 
Stretched out on your side,
The moonlight gilding your gorgeous chest and sweet face relaxed in slumber.
Smiling softly at the snores rumbling in the air
As I settle quietly on the floor next to you. 
Reaching out, I stroke your cheek knowing you cannot feel me.
I treasure these moments I spend near your side,
Surrounded by your scent. 
I feel the pull of my body and know sunrise is near...
I must go.
Closing my eyes as I lean forward and breathe you in,
Whispering “I love you”,
As I softly kiss you goodbye,

My eyes reopen to the graying light of sunrise in my room.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chastised

Fateful Heart

Idle Comfort